Housing Assistance

The MacArthur Foundation reports that affordable housing provides more than just shelter. It can positively impact child development, education, mental and physical health, and other social and economic factors. This month, we provide resources on housing assistance for people with low and moderate incomes offered through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD also contracts with state and local agencies to make sure everyone has access to safe and affordable housing.

WIC Can Help by referring families to local resources for rental assistance, subsidized housing, foreclosure prevention, and other ways to keep a roof over their heads.

Help for Low-Income Individuals and Families

In California, public housing is administered directly through local Public Housing Authorities (PHAs). For help in seeking Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV, formerly Section 8) or other public housing services, find phone, email, or mailing addresses for your local PHA here (by city or zip code). Or find the website for each in English or Spanish.

HUD now has a mobile app, the HUD Resource Locator – search on Apple iTunes or Google Play. You can also search their website listing of affordable rental units by county (urban and rural areas).

Contact a regional office or visit the website for HUD in California (800-955-5342) for help finding rentals, avoiding foreclosure, filing fair housing discrimination complaints, getting reverse mortgages, or buying homes. HUD in California also assists those who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

HUD can also help families in need search for a subsidized apartment in English or Spanish, or help them avoid foreclosure in California.

Help for People in Rural Areas

The USDA Rural Housing Service provides a number of homeownership opportunities to rural Americans, as well as programs for home renovation and repair. USDA Rural Housing Service also makes financing available to low-income or elderly, disabled, rural residents of multi-unit housing buildings to ensure they are able to make rent payments.

Help for Persons Living Homeless or At Risk

Call 2-1-1 in your area or view this partial list of shelters and emergency housing in California. CalWORKs Homeless Assistance includes rent and security deposit programs to help those currently homeless or facing imminent eviction. Go to the HUD Resources Locator website or app (see above) and click on “Find Homeless Resources Near Me.”

Additional Resources: